Friday, May 9, 2014

Summer Reading Quest - Gather Round

Last Week, Mary Ann Cappiello and Erika Dawes presented a SLJ webinar titled:
Text Sets: Blueprints for Curriculum Building

Yesterday, Marc and I did a SLJ Webinar titled: 
On the Road with CCSS: Issues and Solutions to Implementation

Both webinars will be archived for listening at a later date but there is a fee for these webinars.
Click this link for more details.  http://www.slj.com/webcasts/on-common-core-2014/

Two lists - One Great Summer Reading Opportunity!

I mentioned during the webinar that I would be posting today on our blog.
My topic today is about summer reading.  Not summer reading for students but your summer reading - librarians, teachers, administrators, parents, librarians - yes I said librarians more than once.

I need your help

Every time  I do a workshop on Common Core and Nonfiction either Marc or I ask the audience of librarians and teachers if they have read book x or heard of book y.  Guess what the vast majority of attendees say?  Ok, stop guessing, the answer is they have not.  Now I know they are interested at some level about nonfiction when they attend a workshop because they are self-selected to attend. 

Here is your chance for active participation.  Click on the links to the surveys and provide your recommendations.  I have already added Claudette Colvin:  Twice Told Justice by Phillip Hoose to the reading list.  I mention this book at most of our Common Core Lens workshops.  Sadly, not many people raise their hand when I ask who has read it.  I always tell attendees there is a reason you see four medallions on the cover of this book.

Click this link to share your nonfiction recommendations. 
You can recommend titles from Kindergarten to Adulthood.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/questnf14

Click this link to share professional and thought provoking book recommendations.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/questpro14

The first book I put on this list is Amanda Ripley's book - The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way.  If you want to get a sense where our education system is - here is the book to read.  Well-written and fast paced. 

Need your recommendations by Friday, May 16th to compile these two lists.  I will post the lists on our blog here just as soon as they are compiled. 

Thanks for your help in advance.






No comments:

Post a Comment